Malihe Alikhani, Thomas Kober, Bashar Alhafni, Yue Chen, Mert Inan, Elizabeth Nielsen, Shahab Raji, Mark Steedman, Matthew Stone. 2022. Zero-shot Cross-Linguistic Learning of Event Semantics. INLG 2022.
- PhD, Institute of Language, Cognition, and Computation, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, 2023 (expected)
- MSc in Computational Linguistics, University of Washington, 2018
- BA in Linguistics, Brigham Young University, 2015
- 2022: PhD research intern, Google
- Developed methods for handling regional variation in user-generated text
- 2018-2019: Machine learning engineer, Bose Corporation
- Developed solutions to problems in speech and language processing in order to drive product development
- 2017: Computational linguist, contractor through Appen Inc., onsite at Facebook Inc.
- Develop data curation practices and standards for several diverse NLU projects.
Nielsen, Elizabeth, Mark Steedman, and Sharon Goldwater. "The role of context in neural pitch accent detection in English." Proceedings of EMNLP (2020).
Nielsen, Elizabeth, and Emily M. Bender. "Modeling adnominal possession in multilingual grammar engineering." In Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Head-Driven Phrase Structure Grammar, University of Tokyo, pp. 140-153. 2018.
Blust, Robert, and Elizabeth Nielsen. "Avoidance of Dissimilar Labial Onsets: The Case of Subanon." Oceanic Linguistics 55, no. 2 (2016): 620-33. Accessed August 25, 2020. http://www.jstor.org/stable/26408430.
Nuckolls, Janis B., Elizabeth Nielsen, Joseph A. Stanley, and Roseanna Hopper. "The systematic stretching and contracting of ideophonic phonology in Pastaza Quichua." International Journal of American Linguistics 82, no. 1 (2016): 95-116.
- Machine learning, including deep learning (using PyTorch)
- English (native)
- Russian (fluent (C2))
- Spanish (conversational)
- French (read)